Are there any sockets and bridges that are indistinguishable from our natural teeth?
This is now possible with Zirconia, which is used in cosmetic dentistry following our patients' demand for a better aesthetic result.
Zirconia is the oxide of zirconium, a natural material of great value as it replaced diamond because of its aesthetic beauty and hardness, without, of course, matching it.
Zirconia is a white material and mineral that replaces the traditional metal-ceramic bridges that over time develop a grey collar around the gums and often cause soft tissue allergies.
They are aesthetic, completely biocompatible and very durable prosthetic restorations.
In which cases are cases placed?
- in teeth with extensive fillings (fillings) and reduced mass
- in endodontically treated teeth (denervated teeth) in teeth with severe abrasions due to age or chemical agents
- for modifying the shape of teeth
- for the aesthetic restoration of teeth with aesthetic problems such as discolouration, inclinations or small cracks
What is the process to obtain them?
It usually requires three sessions at the dentist's office, each of which is painless.
At the first appointment the patient's denture is checked and after consultation a treatment plan is written down. This is followed by the grinding of the teeth so that they take the appropriate shape for the placement of our prosthetic work. Immediately afterwards, impressions are taken which are sent to the appropriate dental laboratory where our prosthetic work will be fabricated. Until the final bonding, which is usually done in just ten days, temporary acrylic crowns are placed to cover the aesthetic part during this time. At this time, the color of the adjacent teeth is also taken to ensure that there is harmony in the candidate's smile.
At the second appointment, the unfinished work is rehearsed, so that if there are any noticeable problems in the fit, grip or closure, they can be corrected.
At the third appointment we proceed to the bonding of the crown with the appropriate permanent adhesive and the final assessment-correction of the work.
At what levels do zirconia hoops outperform?
Their advantages are many:
- They have excellent mechanical strength
- Their property as a light-transmitting material ensures the best aesthetic results
- It is completely biocompatible material and eliminates allergic reactions
- It is very resistant to corrosion
- Acts as very good insulation to the sensitivities to cold and hot
How long do zirconia hoops last?
They have a longer lifespan than other metal-ceramic restorations. However, we should not overlook factors that may affect their longevity such as maintaining a good oral hygiene, turning them into object crushing tools, bruxism and so on.
Modern trends in dentistry dictate "metal free restorations"